English Proficiency Scores
Proficiency in both written and spoken English is absolutely necessary for successful study at Rowan University. If your first language is not English, you must document an acceptable level of English proficiency by submitting:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 70 or above (Internet-based test). Rowan's TOEFL school code is 2515.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum level of 6.0 or above
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 50 or above
- Duolingo with a minimum score of 120 or above
- For more information please view our English Language Policy
What if my scores are too low?
That’s OK! Rowan offers ways to help international students who would still like to come to Rowan, but need additional English language skills.
Conditional Admission (Undergraduate Freshmen & Transfer)
If you meet all the requirements for admission to Rowan except for an acceptable language test score you may be offered Conditional Admission. In this case, you could take part in the English Language Program, which offers non-credit, face-to-face courses focusing on language skills, and upon completing the program successfully enter the university. Click here for an overview of Conditional Admission.
English Language Program (ELP)
The ELP is a non-credit program designed for international students who need to improve their academic English proficiency in order to attend university in the United States. International students who have not met the English proficiency requirement for the university admission may apply to the ELP. This is a five-level non-credit program in which students take classes ranging from Reading & Writing to American Literature and Oral Presentation Skills. Students who successfully complete the ELP may matriculate into the university without the requisite TOEFL/IELTS scores. Click here for an overview of the English Language Program.